March 26, 2013

Courting Cate by Leslie Gould

Courting CateCourting Cate by Leslie Gould
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is probably the first of this "genre" book I have read (Amish romance), so going into this please know that my knowledge of this culture and its practices is no greater than the average person.

I requested this book from NetGalley because the title interested me I wondered if it would be like Taming of the Shrew and once I read the synopsis I knew it would be. Since Taming of the Shrew is my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies I had to get it.

I was not disappointed in its similarities to one of The Bard's greatest comedies. This book has a shrewish girl, but she is not shown in the usual way.

What I liked about this is that the book is from Cate's perspective. We feel empathy toward her. We see the world and how annoying it is through her eyes and how the people around her just do not understand her.

I like that because of the POV we get to see the love between the sisters; this is not something that tends to come out in other versions of this type of story and rarely comes out in a stage production.

I like how the sweet love develops and how suspicious she is of people. She knows she has trust issues, but she has been hurt too many times that she closes herself off

Because this is an inspirational romance, the reader will have to expect some religious stuff that fits the characters and their faith.
I really did not feel hit over the head with it--it came off as inspirational rather than preachy (and it makes me want to dig out my old Bible to read the story Esther).

The more I think about this story, the more I want to give it another half a star so 4 1/2 stars for taking my fav type of story (Taming of the Shrew) and making it better.

The only thing I would have wanted to see more of would be more of Cate and Pete together, holding hands and talking, walking arm in arm... Thsee little bits in the story were breathtaking.

Just a note to my usual readers: this is a YA Christian book. If you are looking for something steamy you need to check out my other reviews. This one does not fit that category, however it is a very enjoyable romance  

View all my reviews

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment